Friday, February 8, 2013

10 Things I wish I knew before taking the Dharma Yoga Life of a Yogi Teacher Training…


by Jessica Gale


1) It’s OK to attend the LOAY Teacher Training program even if you don’t plan on being a super yogi…

I will admit it: the week before attending the program I panicked. Was I ready? Would I ever be ready? I had been practicing yoga for several years, desired to teach, and wanted to attend an intensive like the Life of a Yogi Teacher Training. However, doubts still remained - even the night before the training began…

Within a few days of starting the program I came to understand the diversity of students the LOAY TT attracted. Everyone practiced at different levels and intensity, and their reasons for attending were just as diverse. We learned the spectrum of what yoga encompassed, but there was always an understanding and acceptance that everyone was at different physical and spiritual levels.

2) There will be Tapas…

You will be sore and the program will push you to your physical limits. It is helpful to view the program more like a marathon than a sprint. Since there are 10 days of asana practice it may be hard to participate when you throw your back out on the first day. That’s not to say you shouldn’t try new things or push yourself (see #3 below), but it is important to pace yourself.

To fully engage and enjoy the program, get some sleep, bring energizing snacks, take the breaks when they are offered, and it wouldn’t hurt bringing some Arnica or Tiger Balm along too.

3) Trust and try…

Yes, it’s intense. Yes, you have 10 days of asana. And yes, it’s the perfect time to embrace new and difficult poses and techniques. The training offers the rare opportunity to learn from a yoga master and several very accomplished senior teachers. When they ask you to try something new, give it a go. Be like a child and have faith.

4) Meet Sri Dharma Mittra, the comedian…

Since I’d heard Sri Dharma speak before attending the training, I knew he had a sense of humor. What I did not expect was to spend so much of a yoga intensive laughing! I have attended several types of yoga classes through my years of practice and I have never found another type that is so light, happy, and humorous! It is one of the things I love most about Dharma yoga - the sense of joy it emanates.

5) You will be homesick…

Throughout the program, everyone at some point felt a little bit blue. It is natural to miss your family and friends, especially since there isn’t a lot of time to communicate with people. The key is to remember that it is only 10 days and the benefits you will gain from the program will last you a lifetime. In addition, one of the things I loved best was coming home and sharing what I learned from Sri Dharma with my loved ones.

6) Listen first and ask, if you still need to, after… 

During the training, there was plenty of time for questions and discussion and the teachers assisting Sri Dharma were also available for additional queries. However, one of the things recommended (and I found to be true) is that if you listen, your questions will often be answered without you even asking. I found that if I was intensely thinking about some question, the answer would come up that same day.

7) If possible, stay close to the home base…

The LOAY TT has long days. I stayed with a friend in Queens to save on lodging during the training and my commute was an hour each way. In my situation, I couldn’t afford to stay in Manhattan, but if it was financially possible, I’d recommend it. The long commute added to my fatigue and made me feel rushed at times. I wish I could have transcended the lack of sleep and the noisy commute, but alas, I have not yet reached that point.

 8) Lose the “yoga ego”…

Be prepared to have your mind blown by attending the master classes taught by Sri Dharma. It was absolutely incredible being taught by a master and be surrounded by yogis with amazing asana practices. It is easy to start comparing yourself to the person on the next mat over but DON’T. The LOAY TT is the perfect time to lose whatever “yoga ego” or “yoga envy” you may have.

In the first master class I found myself entirely overwhelmed!  Soon after I found myself in utter wonder and inspired by the dedication of people around me.  There was inspiration not only with the advanced students, but the student who could not yet do a headstand but sit unmoving and for long periods of meditation with a blissful smile on their faces.

One way I found to tame my yoga ego was to focus on my weaknesses and not my perceived strengths. I took special care during pranayama, held the poses that were most uncomfortable the longest and tried my best to surrender in meditation.

9) The name of the game is Ahimsa…

There will be times during the program when you will be frustrated with yourself because you can’t achieve a pose no matter how many times practiced, or your mind will relentlessly wander during meditation. Take your time to cultivate Ahimsa. Ahimsa is the greatest of the Yamas and Niyamas and all of the others come from this main tenant. Surrounded by happy, loving yogis, it is easy to be kind to others. However, there will be times when you will struggle to be kind to yourself. Before attending the LOAY TT, try to make it your main goal to live by Ahimsa.

10) You will leave changed…

I cannot believe a single person leaves the Life of a Yogi Teacher Training program without feeling changed. Immersed in yoga and all of Sri Dharma’s teachings, you will come away changed in your body, mind, and spirit. You may even find yourself coming to surprising conclusions you never expected. Be open to the changes and take the experience with you. Share what you have learned as an act of thanks-giving.


_________________________________________________
Jessica Gale has practiced yoga for nine years and studied Ashtanga, Kripalu, and Dharma Yoga during this time. She spent the last three years studying intensely at the CNY Yoga Center (Dharma Yoga) in Syracuse, NY and completed her LOAY 200 hour teacher training at the Dharma Yoga New York Center in May 2012. She is currently completing her internship hours and hopes to achieve full certification soon. Jessica lives in Toronto with her husband and is pursuing a career in environmental work along with flower farming, garden design, and, of course, yoga.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for taking the time to write and post this. I'm signed up for the training in two weeks and this was exactly what I needed to read today. THANK YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for writing this... I am interested in starting the Dharma program and even though I already have a 200 cert, and have been teaching for 3 years.. I am super nervous!!! lol But super psyched to learn from a living master and be inspired (hopefully not intimidated) by amazing advanced yogis in asana and meditation alike... thanks you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad to see that you both found this post helpful! Barb, I hope you loved it! And iHART--go for it! You will not regret it and find it will only deepen your practice!
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete